Do’s and Don’ts of choosing fish for Home Aquaponics
- Let your tank fully cycle (2 weeks should be perfect) before adding fish.
- Get your water fully tested both prior to adding fish and on an ongoing basis once the tank is stocked.
- Buy your fish from a reputable pet store .
- Choose a hardy breed (I am now using comet goldfish – good size and seem to be pretty strong.
- Forget to rinse your Hydroton prior to adding to grow bed – failure to do so will hurt your fish and make your tank VERY cloudy.
- Forget to account for heat loss from grow bed, for a 20 gallon tank you might need a 40 gallon heater.
- Buy “feeder fish” on the cheap – these fish are usually packed into tight confines and come with *FREE* diseases.
- Pick anything too frilly or pretty – your girlfriend might like them today but she will cry when you flush Nemo in a few days.